Thursday, January 3, 2013

In Too Deep To Stop Now


There is this song that my daughter had an interest in some time ago. The lyrics went something like this..."You're hot and you're cold; you're yes and you're no; you're in and you're out; wrong when it's right; black when it's white, etc.." One day, I was imitating the singer and messing with my daughter, when I had a biblical realization. God tells us to be one way. He would rather us be hot or cold, say yes or no, and not to be lukewarm. What do we do when something is lukewarm in our mouths? We want to spit it out. As our creator, we mimic Him in ways we don't even realize- God says the same in His word- lukewarm equates to being spewed out of His mouth (Revelation 3:16).

On a few occasions, many people have said to me that I am just "too holy" or "too deep" for them. It is/was not a compliment. It was meant to be a condescending remark to say that my behavior was not accepting to them or that I was too extreme. This conversation usually results from something that I have stated that I have changed. Examples: I stopped cursing. I talk about the Lord alot and how I can see Him at work in my life everyday. Note that there is an element of truth to their statements. With the exception of a few areas of my life, most people in my life can verify that I am an extreme person. When I was in the world- I shut clubs down, drank until the last drop, and dropped it like it was hot. There was no question about what I was doing.

Life Alert! God did not change my personality when I got off the wall; He merely delivered me and guided me in His way for His glory. Just as I was bold for the world- I am just as bold for the Lord.

While there was a transition period where God had to convince me to come off the wall, trust me- upon the realization that I was wrong, I was full speed ahead for Jesus. In saying that- the Lord tells us to be holy, for He is holy (1 Peter 1:16). This is not a question, but it is a fact- a commandment. If He tells us to do it, then apparently it is possible for us to do so. There are many scriptures that tell us to "go deep" and to "be holy" but I cannot find ANY scripture that says to stop being so holy.

If you find yourself running for Jesus and someone makes a comment about you being too deep, remember that the bible calls for us to be deep. The Lord commands us to be holy, just as He is holy. There are usually two reasons why this accusation presents itself. Pride and jealousy. It is the fact that they secretly admire the fact that you are walking with the Lord closely. It is easier to accuse than to ask you how you did it.

The first mistake that I made was to try and dumb it down to fit in. Nope. Didn't work. Even though it was only me trying to convince them that I was cool- I was not happy because it wasn't who I really was. Please do not try this at home. Do NOT try to dumb it down or fit in because God calls us a peculiar people! We are not meant to succumb to this type "peer pressure!" We all have areas that we need to work on. Get around people who have mastered this area and be humble enough to state that you need some help in this area!

My lesson learned was that I am in too deep to stop now! I have come too far from where I have started from and while it is not easy- the journey has been worth it.

Blessings be unto you!



No comments:

Post a Comment