Thursday, February 28, 2013

One History One Fight

"I long for the time when all of the human history is taught as one history because it really is one history. ." - Maya Angelou

So do I, Ms. Angelou, So do I...

Earlier this month, I was asked to give the invocation for my organization's Black History program. One of the key things I remember praying (I hardly ever remember) is....we thank you Lord that we are not where we used to be, but we know that we are far from where we need to be..." The city's mayor thanked me for saying that and reitered this in his speech as well as encouragement for all of us to do our part.

As we close another celebration of our culture, my prayer to God is that one day reconciliation is not just a token word- but an action seen throughout the entire human race....

Often I have heard people say that February was selected because it was the shortest month....Here's a black history fact and myth debunker: Originally Black history was celebrated for a week- established by Carter G. Woodson.  February was selected/recommended because it is the month that holds the birthdays of the two facilitators of black freedom- Mr. Frederick Douglass and President Abraham Lincoln.

Research and truth will be key factors in reconciliation. Let's do our due diligence. Be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment