Saturday, June 8, 2013

Who Came Up With That?

There is a saying that is bounced around that says: "God never puts more on us than we can bear." I am here to tell you that this has got to be one of the biggest fallacies that I have ever come across since I have been a believer. I have used it before in the past as well. In all honesty, I told my sister/friend this week that this statement is a "bunch of crap." And then I launched into a speech about who make this stuff up? This statement probably came from some well meaning soul who was at a loss of words when comforting someone. We live and we learn.

This week, I received notice that I was going to be taking an involuntary & unpaid vacation (furlough), my car broke down and its a huge bill, and to top it off, my favorite aunt who served in a maternal role in my life died this week. All of this happened within three days. It was more than I could bear. I was exhausted. I still helped others, because the train doesn't stop.

Grateful for His grace because I was Not myself. I felt like Kuzco from the Emperors groove in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhOrxkGlLDM. Or for those who don't watch cartoons...it feels like I was the little mountain man on the show, the Price is Right, when he falls over the cliff (I can still hear that cheesy music).  Or a wrestler who needs to come out of the game...I had tapped out.

Does that mean that I did something wrong because I just told you that it was more than I can bear? Nope. Why? Because God does NOT always rescue us out of situations. He promises to be with us always. He goes through WITH us and walks us through.

So, what happens? God tells us the answer in 2 Corinthians 13:9 " For we are glad, when we are weak, and ye are strong: and this also we wish, even your perfection." This is a part of the growth process and the "perfecting" that we experience season to season as believers.

If we never had more than we can bear, we would never know the end of our humanness and the beginning of God's strength, mercy, and grace. We would never bring our burdens to Him or reach out to Him, because we would think that we could handle it all.

This week, I am extremely grateful for my husband, my children, and friends who have prayed for me, listened to me, made me leave the house for walks to be silly, making me PB &J sandwiches, dried my tears, cracked jokes and the calls bestowing love on me.

Be Blessed and remember that trials and situations are inevitable. However, we can rejoice because God promises in 2 Corinthians 12:10: "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Saved and Free, But Human Indeed!! #graceabound

No comments:

Post a Comment